Friday 15 February 2013

Valentines Day Intervals

I had bought my lovely wife chocolates and champagne.  Her gift to me was letting me slip out for an hour or so to run track intervals with the club.  And what a gift.

I really am relishing these interval sessions.  Tonight 6 x 800.  The talk was of fabled Yasso 800s.  These are where you run 10x800 and the time in minutes (e.g. 3:30) predicts your time for the marathon in hours.  Tonight we were only doing 6x800.

I run with the usual gang of Rob W, Rob B and Jenny.   Jenny bangs out a perfect 1:41 lap followed by another perfect 1:41 lap.  It's my turn to lead and so I bang do a 1:31 and a 1:30.  Not so good in terms of running an even pace across the session.

After each session, I am raring to go for the next one.

The final interval I go for it and drop everyone else.  I think not doing the lunchtime recovery run helped.  I do a 1:30 and a 1:28.

At the end we stretch.  I love the banter, the camaraderie, the in-it-together of the track sessions.  You turn up, there's a plan and you do it.  I frequently catch myself smiling.

There are some very fast runners, and some very determined slower runners.  But all those who turn up get that knowing respect of obsession.

6 x 800 with 2 minute

No comments:

Post a Comment