Saturday 23 February 2013

Marathon Training Park Run PB

I know  I am running well because of my Cat and Canary 5 mile time trial time.  I calculated I must have run a 5km PB during that.  Today my wife cries off Parkrun with a twinge.  I decide to go instead and run a PB.  Get some payback for all the marathon training.

It is cold, 1 degree maybe and there are snow flurries.  I will be running in my coat and hat and gloves.  But still I am confident of a PB.  I do my track warm up.  Soon we are off.  We are running the winter Bromley Park Run Course which is basically 2 and 3/4 laps without going near the middle of the park.

After about 0.5km I see Brian from the club leading from the front.  This inspires me.  

Running on the track teaches you one thing.  Never to waste a single step.  Each and every single footstep is beautifully crafted before being precisely placed.  

I get into a battle with a fast lady runner.  On the slight hill I power past her.  On the downhill she elegantly flows past me.  On the last lap I don't catch her on the uphill and it looks like she will escape.  As the finish nears I put together a powerful sprint and I manage to sweep her up and cross the line ahead of her (Though she gets the same time)  She is the second lady in the entire race.  The wining lady finishes second to Brian.  I finish 30th overall.

A lot of people are disappointed with their times.  I am ecstatic (obviously).  I casually ask what effect the wintry weather had and the consensus is around a minute.  I am trained for a marathon.  I ran a hill session last night.   I wonder how much lower I can get this with some specific training...

5km 21:17 

No comments:

Post a Comment