Sunday 6 January 2013

Berrys Green Circular Walk Run

I need to do my long run today.  My wife is out with the kids but has taken the car with her.  I get the train to Bromley and then the bus to Biggin Hill.  I run down jail lane and join the Berrys Green circular walk later on.

It's muddy but I'm well prepared.  I have the GPS route from a previous run.  This is my only set of directions so I hope the battery lasts.  I think without the GPS you would never be able to find the route.  A couple of points I go off track but the GPS soon highlights the problem.  I would like to memorise this route though as it is a great run.  A couple more times and I will have it cracked.

Even though the run is only 14.5k it is a lot more work than that.  Cudham is some of the steepest (if not biggest) terrain around the South East.

As I run across a field near the start I see an older man with a beard and a map.  I greet him and run on my way.  It is misty, a cold mist at that.  As I run across the Pilgrims Way which usually provides a beautiful view down intoWesterham all I can see is mist.  At some points in the run it strikes me how quiet it is..

I reach Cudham (the usual start) but I know that this means I am nearly back.  A few more killer hills and as I run through Downe I see the same Beared Man from earlier.  I have run 90% of the whole track, he has probably covered 20%.

As marathon day gets closer then I will need to do my long runs on the road.  But at this point in my training a hilly offroad mud slog is probably ideal for building fitness.

14.5km 1:57:30

No comments:

Post a Comment