Sunday 20 January 2013

Icy Blast from the Past

It's snowy but I need a longish run.  I get up at 7:30am to do the Nash Circular walk forwards then backwards.  I park outside the Greyhound Pub and head off.  I have the right kit and so it is not too cold.  The scenes are incredibly beautiful.

The trail shoes and snow aren't conducive to the fastest pace in the world, but some of the hills work me hard.  I see a few people out walking the dog but most people are tucked up safe.

I complete the first round.  I stop, touch my car and head back the way I was coming.  Near the finish there is one more killer hill before a gentle trundle back to the car.  I see some old friends.  A group of guys I used to go mountain biking with.  They are pushing their bikes up where I am about to go.  Guess I have to man up and run past them.  So I do.  Some seem to recognise me, others don't.   Some shout ahead:
"Move out the way, runner coming"
I say,
"You'd be faster if you weren't lugging those bikes round with you"
One day when I have more time I may go back to the cycling and leave the running behind.  Until then I am a runner and occasional cyclist.

I return to the car and wipe the fresh snow off.  The snow is starting to get heavy now.  I head home for a bacon sandwich and a coffee.  What a fantastic morning.

14.5km 1:40

No comments:

Post a Comment