Monday 28 January 2013

Making it happen

I was out with my wife for the first time in 18months yesterday.  It was also meant to be my long run day.  A temporary suspension of my alcohol ban was also observed. 

The plan we to run long today (15miles) and have yesterday as my rest day.  But I am pretty hungover and I have a sore stomach.  I have a busy day at work.  The journey home is a nightmare with trains and buses.  Eventially I get home and have to put the kids to bed by myself.  It would be so easy not to run.  If I can though I remain on track.  I get dressed and commit

I look out the window and it is rainig heavily  I decide not to take my phone as it will probably get wet, so no music.  I head off trying to find the flatest route I can.  I head towards Croydon.  The plan was to do 7.5miles out and back.

I start off and it's not too bad.  The pace is good, 1 1/12 minutes slower than marathon pace which is way faster than I have ever managed to do my long runs.  I get to Croydon and decide to turn it into a loop via Addiscombe.  I suspect this will leave me a couple of miles short at the end. 

As I run through Addiscombe I see a sign for an old style Chinese Restaurant called "Welcome Friends".  However the 'r' has dropped off the sign so it reads "Welcome Fiends".  This makes me laugh.

To make up the miles I go and run some laps of Shortlands Park.  Soon I am done and back home in the shower.  It is now 11:00pm at night.  I don't know how I managed to pull this together, but I kept on track and feel great for it

14.92 miles 2:21:30 (5:54/km)

No comments:

Post a Comment